Sunday, March 11, 2012

Rugby

I started playing rugby my junior year of College.  I took some time off after graduation to find a job and by that I mean, secure some health insurance, but it’s been a big part of my life since my first scrum. Some of my best friends are ruggers; those I met in college and those I met playing in Cincinnati and Dayton.  Before I left Ohio for Oregon, I tracked down a team so that I would be sure to make friends. Rugby is a family.  

Plans of retiring after I turned 30 or after I started a family never crossed my mind.  I was going to play until I was six feet under.  The most devastating thought when I was diagnosed was if I would ever be able to play again.  

I wished I would have taken the sport more seriously in college.  Actually, I wish I would have started earlier. Once I finally started to think that I could be really good.  Legendary even, I started to train harder.  I look back at my 2008 fall season thinking I was in great shape and heading toward even better athletic prowess.  Then I got benched the winter of 2009 with an exacerbation that lead to the MS diagnosis.  

Dedication and desire pushed me to get better so I could play again.  I was slow and weak, but I still had heart.  My first season back I was slowly getting acclimated back into the game.  I asked to play 10 minutes of the first spring game in 2009 knowing I would get tired quickly.  It wasn’t the best 10 minutes of rugby I had ever played, but it was the most victorious.  I came off of the pitch with tears streaming down my face as I went to embrace my coach.  Between sobs I cried, “I can still play!” 

The Dayton Area Rugby Club in Ohio was very supportive during my time of need.  They called to check on me and visited me in the hospital.  They even organized a walk team for the National MS Society.  We raised a pretty penny for the cause and got the rugby teams out in the community.  It was a great event and I am so thankful for my teammates.  

DARC ruggers with my friends and family at the 2010 MS Walk in Dayton, Ohio.  Thanks for organizing KJ! 
My most recent relapse has been a lot harder to overcome.  Learning how to walk again was much harder this time, so running and tackling are bigger goals.  There’s also the distance issue.  In Ohio, I was much closer to the pitch.  It was basically in my office building’s backyard.  Now I drive 45-60 minutes to get to practice.  If I work late, like I have been, it’s more difficult to make it to training in time.  I’ve only made it out once this season.  Also, gas prices are ridiculous, but I hear there are other Corvallis women driving down.  Carpooling is an option.  The Eugene Reign Women's Rugby Club is totally worth it.

Luckily I have sessions planned with a group on campus specifically designed for working with people with MS.  They customize plans toward each individual’s goals.   My goal is to play rugby again.  I’m hoping to have another triumphant moment this spring.  I might try and convince the team to do the Portland MS Muck Ruckus this year too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment