Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Helping out

I’m looking forward to being more involved with the National MS Society. It’ll give me a chance to really help people with MS.  I don’t know how I can help, but I want to open myself and be available for assisting in anyway I can.  Maybe it’s providing support for events or just telling my story for support. There has to be ways I can help people whether it’s accessing resources or talking about therapies. Just being available to listen to someone who is newly diagnosed could be helpful.  

I am by no means an expert, but I did grow up with it since my mother was diagnosed at age 13. Having experience as the child of someone with MS could help someone talk to their children about the disease and how it affects the family. Then when I was older, I took on responsibilities to help out my mom when necessary.  Having insight as a caregiver could be very helpful too.

Now that I am living with MS myself, I have advice and can share how I cope.  I can talk about my experience and the resources i turn to for help.  Maybe I can provide humor and support during bleak times.

It may be bold to think that little old me can offer anything, but I want to do what I can. Having MS isn’t the greatest, but I can make the most of it. It’s possible that I was supposed to get this disease in order to help others make it through the tough times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment