Tuesday, March 13, 2012

National MS Society



I recommend that anyone who has recently been diagnosed with MS visit the National Multiple Sclerosis website for help. I also recommend this to anyone who cares for someone with MS. There is tons of accessible information.  You can learn about what exactly MS is and what it is doing to your body.  There is also information about treatments.  They're up to date on the latest research and provide that information for those who seek it.  Although the hard facts were beneficial, the support system through the NMSS is what I have found to be most helpful. 

While on the site, find your local chapter. They often hold events that would help you learn about the disease as well as cope. Local support groups are organized that go over a variety of topics. It’s a great way to meet people who live with MS too.

It was really scary when I was first diagnosed. I wanted my mom to help me through it, not only because she was my mommy, but because she had MS too. Talking with other people with MS has been very helpful. I learn about their personal experience with MS like what treatments they are taking and what doctors are total quacks. You also get to talk to someone who knows what it’s like to have MS. Sometimes it’s nice to know you’re not the only one.

The NMSS does a great job of helping people find the services they need. If you have a question about treatment or financial need, they can find a way to help. The people that work and volunteer for the NMSS are amazing people. When I moved from Ohio to Oregon and had a ridiculous relapse, the society was very helpful. They directed me to information about the new treatment I was on and helped me locate a support group. Being thousands of miles from friends and family is hard, but the local Oregon Chapter of the NMSS was very supportive.

Be an advocate! The NMSS will help you do that. Whether you attend events about MS awareness, raise money for research or simply write or call your congressmen, the NMSS will help you make your voice heard.

Being newly diagnosed is scary, but don’t be intimidated by the NMSS. They really are here to help. Then you can learn to give back. Join one of the fundraising events in your area to raise money and awareness. It’s actually a lot of fun and a great way to spend time with friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment