Thursday, March 8, 2012

Memory and Mental Cognition

I've noticed some changes in my mental cognition.  Gathering my thoughts for a conversation is MUCH harder than it once was.

Me:  You know that thing?  The thing with the other thing?  You know.  THE THING.  You put stuff in the thing. Dude...the thing. 
Friend: Is your brain flaking again?
Me: Lil' bit.  

More often than not I am trying to talk about something as simple as a coffee mug, but can't think of the word.  It's difficult.  I sometimes find it easier to speak more loquaciously, like a Senator.  Lots of rambling with big/buzz words that really has no meaning.  Sometimes people don't notice I'm looking for certain words if I am juggling a ridiculous vocabulary.



My friends know I am a bit slow, so they just let me get it out.  However, it can be embarrassing when meeting new people or leading a meeting with colleagues at work.  I like to sound somewhat sane when talking to colleagues and strangers. 

I have also discovered that I need things to be VERY linear.  When things start taking too many tangents, I get lost quickly.  Having this disability has actually helped me garner a great leadership skill.  I have learned how to steer meetings to get back on track and get people to focus on the task at hand.  Decisions begin to get made and progress happens. Little  do they know that it is purely selfish. ;-)

Much like an Alzheimer patient, I sunset.  I'm smarter in the mornings.  As the day drags on and I get fatigued physically and mentally, I'm not operating at full speed.  I forget to do things.  My brain doesn't want to form coherent speech.  I'm fairly special.  It's not only the length of the day, but the stresses of the day too.  I could be totally stressed out by 9am and be useless for the rest of the day.  I've learned how to deal with all of these things to make myself more productive.

My mind was once a steel trap.  I was really good at remembering faces and names.  I knew how and where I met a person, although they may not remember me.  Now, that's not the case.  People have had to re-introduce themselves to me.

I'll be honest, I love my iphone.  It helps me remember things.  By having my calendar at my fingertips I can leave reminders to help me through the day.  I have a grocery list app that gets me in and out of the store much quicker than if I don't make a list.  I jot down notes in the notepad to help me remember details.  There are several contacts in my phone that I have no idea who they are.  I have started a system where I write how I know them.  John Smith-Corvallis.  I know I met this person in Corvallis, OR and in the notes I anchor it.  "Josanna's friend" or "Cool Smurf tshirt"

Technology is helpful, but making a system that works for me is the best.  I should buy stock in Post-It Notes since I use so many of them.  They litter my desk.  They litter my car.  The refrigerator magnet notepad is my favorite thing ever!

Desk has looked similar



So I don't remember stuff.  It takes me 20 minutes to say what would take a normal person 10.  It sucks, but I've learned to cope.

 

It's a long video, but it's good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment